Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Knitter on the edge

G'day all!

I took my knitting down to the Yarra today and sat on one of the bollards right on the edge of the water. 20 minutes of knitting and I didn't drop my needles into the water, even though the water was almost under me! I certainly would not be jumping into find the needle if I dropped one in. For starters, that bit of the river is navigable by smallish craft so it can't be any less than two feet deep, and second starters I know what Yarra sludge is like.

Remember how little boys smell when they play in the mud on the school oval? Multiply that smell by a factor of 10. That'll give you an idea.... I love the Yarra but you really don't want to play in its sludge. Nope the reflections on it will do me just fine.

Tomorrow I will start the heel flap. Yes, you read aright - the heel flap. This sock is rocketing along I guess (touch wood, don't listen to what I am saying O knitting goddess, please don't whack me!) that I've grokked the pattern at last. Hooray!

This afternoon's murphy was an optimist story:
I go to set up the laptop for the training being run by another area. I have it all ready to go 20 minutes before it is needed. yay me! I settle down with my knitting (!!) waiting for the people running the training to show up.

I notice a little message on the screen, "Updates installed. Restart now?"

Bottom! If you don't restart, it gets grumpy and either won't work or restarts all by itself.

So I restarted it. All ready to go 8 minutes before the training starts.

Then in blows the assistant who deals with the computer part - clicking buttons and showing people where to do what. "The photocopier is playing up and I haven't got all the copies I need!"

So I offer to go get the copies needed. The copier I'll be using is on a different floor and should be fine.

Except it has crashed after the document feeder did something funny.

Crashed badly enough that it has to be hard restarted.... And takes 5 minutes to boot up. Drok! (what comic strip is that from? It is a pity the copier couldn't meet Judge Boot.)

(Oh for the days of the mimeograph and that yummy purple print of my early childhood - gosh it was good to sniff!)

Then it takes about two minutes to print out four copies of one four page document. Fast? Ummm, no....

I got something in the mail today! Pics tomorrow I hope. I've got so many pics to show and no time to edit them. Sigh.

anon!

3 comments:

  1. It does sound like you are rocketing right along!

    Here's what Wikipedia had to say about "drok": "drok/drokk - from 2000AD's Judge Dredd; used as a general expletive; likely modification of German/Yiddish Dreck"

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first started teaching, only 21 years ago!! we still had those purple metho stencils!! I loved making them and the smell of them!!!! Sadly we moved on up to photocopiers...Well done with the sock, not long to go now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks fantastic! i do have a favor to ask of you. i've got this delicious sock yarn for my sockpal000za, and i don't knwo what pattern to use. i'm thinking aobut using the same pattern you are (i can't spell it, and i'm too lazy to go look for hte name, lol, i just know where i saw it, lol). do you think it would look good in the yarn i'm using. i'm going to post the pic in a minute. go ahead, go look. i'll wait.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments but if I don't have your email address, I may not be able to reply 8-\
I'm trying various commenting things so that I can reply to your comments within blogger itself.