February SEX, not Stitches!

G'day all!

I've been trying to be good with the yarn purchases this month.

Here's some I bought from Yarn Dogs early in the month before I remembered Stitches was on soon:





Nifty, eh? Panda Silk, 52% bamboo, 43% superwash merino and 5% combed silk. Like the other panda yarns, and tofutsies, it is a very fine sock yarn. It has a lot of very fine plies and is quite shiny. Sooner or later I'll get around to knitting it but I have a LOT of projects on the boil at present and I want to finish them first.

Speaking of tofutsies, one of the independent dyers at Stitches (should be called Stashes cos boy there was a LOT of enabling going on!) had some of the base yarn dyed up in her colourways. The tofutsies yarn has chitin in it, which is the protein that arthropod (crabs, prawns, yabbies, etc) shells are made of. The sign over the yarn proudly advised that the yarn contains cretin. Ahem. Just a little different, y'know.

Since Someone forgot about Valentine's Day, he had to buy me a skein of sock yarn at A Common Thread, where they just so happened to have 10% off that day (and I didn't even know - we were just tooling around in a rental car looking at suburbs we hadn't been to yet).


That's a Panda sock blend (60% superwash merino, 30% bamboo, 10% nylon) from LuLu's Yarns in colourway Viola di Notte.



And in the interests of full disclosure, I was in Michael's and I bought one lonely ball of Cotton Ease to see what it is like. It *was* on special



For my non-American/Canadian friends, Michael's is a girlie hobby shop. It has mostly needlecrafts, flower arranging, scrapbooking, paper art, beads/jewellery, framing, painting and drawing supplies, that sort of stuff. Plus a little yarn. If you want boy toys, go look someplace else. Jo-ann's carries some hobby stuff but tends to focus more on fabric. It has a better range of yarn in my experience, not that better range is saying much! My Aussie mates will grok it when I say that Jo-ann's is like Scroatfight only smaller (!!!). Scroaties has a better range of wool yarns than any craft shop I've seen here. If you want acrylics and novelty yarns, Jo-ann's and Michael's are the place to go. So don't think it is all good here!

anon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your monthly blog post

Competition time!

Not a good post to read