Fibre fest

G'day all!

On Saturday, Chocolate Trudi and I went to the open day at the fibre forum down near Geelong. I went last year, and this year was my first trip with someone else. We chatted and laughed and I interrupted Trudi's stories lots with comments about the crap drivers all around me.... Trudi is a good story teller.

Here's my new stash additions:


Some alpaca wool mix! Yes I bought alpaca! Why? Cos I reckon this will look great felted. The colours are Not Me but there are plenty of people who love these colours and they did speak to me, they just said we are lovely but Not You.


Some Wensleydale on special cos it isn't the finest of the breed.


Some Blue Faced Leicester - gosh this feels nice. The lady I bought it off prefers Wensleydale but I'll be buying more of this BFL off her cos it is lush!


Some rainbow dyed tussah silk.


Two skeins of 2ply in me colours. Gosh I am such a girl in my favourite colours (see my pirate name result below).

All of these came from Waratah Fibres. If anyone wants Helen's contact details, let me know.


A silk cap from Fibreworks.


Some gelati (even I probably would not eat gelati coloured like this) rainbow coloured tops from Fibre Dyversity.

I was very good. I had $100 in my wallet and came home with $35 plus petrol money. Was I good? Admittedly not being able to buy some stuff from my favourite suppliers meant I had money left, and I deliberately left behind some stuff I would like but I thought was overpriced.

So what else have I been up to? Knitting the blasted scarf for my swappee. I only have 7 full repeats of the pattern to go I think before I graft the two ends together. I'll have to find out how to graft garter stitch-wise. Or maybe I'll just rip the end out and knit all the way through in one piece, though that means adding another 8 or 10 repeats to the pattern and I am SOOOOO over this scarf and its icky yarn. The pattern is good cos I can see distinct blocks of progress.


(An attempt at an arty shot, not clickable)

As I've been trying to be monogamous with the scarf, I've been spinning a lot. And dyeing lots too. Pics later when I've got them all, if I can get them all (see later comment). For the meantime, gasp in admiration at this novelty yarn.



I had roughly drum carded up some of the fleece and when I spun it it was rather noily, so I plied in some locks to make it look like it was meant to be rough. It has dandruff - the fleece is full of scurf. The dandruff makes it look like dredds. Should I email the supplier and whinge at them? I have never had any of their stuff before and I am not overly happy cos the fleece was over $40. Admittedly I did look at it first but in the poor light in the wool sheds I just didn't see the scurf. Caveat emptor or poor sheep husbandry since they get scurf when they have mites?

The camera has decided that it can no longer take pics using its widest angle, which is what it uses for macro mode too. It randomly stopped taking pics yesterday. It will take pics if it is just off the widest angle it but this means no more macro shots. This just adds to the misery of it having scratches on the lens and making prettily out of focus in the centre of the field pics (the exact opposite of what most people want). Of course I have no income = no new camera, but Nathan is going overseas next week so maybe we will just have to find something cheap but good that he can buy duty free. (Nathan only wants a digital SLR but we simply cannot afford a whizbang got the lot camera.) Any suggestions?

Random stuff


Anyone got any ideas about Library Thing? Good, bad, indifferent, can't live without it, can't live with it?

This is just so wrong - a Darth Vader outfit for your dog.

Mog's Blog had a link to this - now I want to go and drive on it. I know it won't look as speccy driving on it as it would from the air out to sea but still.... I want to go for a loooong drive. I'd have to go for a long drive to drive on that bit of highway cos it is hmm, about 800km away?

Ages ago I did the What's Your Pirate Name quiz. I think I've gotten the same result before:



My pirate name is:


Calico John Rackham



Often indecisive, you can't even choose a favorite color. You're apt to follow wherever the wind blows you, just like Calico Jack Rackham, your namesake. You have the good fortune of having a good name, since Rackham (pronounced RACKem, not rack-ham) is one of the coolest sounding surnames for a pirate. Arr!

Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network


OK, I am off to do a rain dance. I've washed the car recently, done a heap of washing, weeded the garden some, done all sorts of things to encourage rain but no such luck. With the exception of the market day's rain, we have hardly had a drop in over two weeks. We keep getting very very storng northerly winds that dries everything out then get a dry cool change with mayb ea few spots of rain and that is it. This is a Melbourne Spring, and there is no rain! So very very wrong. My spinach, swedes, coriander, lettuce and beetroot all went to seed from lack of water - not something I contemplated for a Melbourne Spring. Anyone got a rain dance they can recommend?

anon!

Comments

  1. You have the fortune of being able to go where the nice fibres are,,,do any of these stockists have contact details as I love the NOT ME Coloured roving,I could dye it but I need some more white top/roving to play with,maybe Bendigo will have some....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:16 pm

    Very Nice woollen buys!! I love your girly 2ply too, very you!!
    The Library Thing could eat away my time. I want to list all my books, neeeed too, but I have too many other things to do. I might just do some..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I might have been Black Charity Rackham, but it blurs. You got some fun fibers! I'll send rainy thoughts your way...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments but if I don't have your email address, I may not be able to reply 8-\

Popular posts from this blog

Your monthly blog post

Competition time!

Seattle Six