Friday, May 28, 2010

Staying in order

G'day all!

I will be good. I will present FOs in order of finishing. Plus it lets me string out posts :-)

In October, I had the mad idea that I could knit a shawlette in a week from a skein of luscious 4ply/fingering weight yarn.

Ahem.

May I present to you, in MAY, seven months later....

My Ruffles of Doom shawlette

fo_rufflesback

Ta-da!

This was a silly knit. I first thought it was a spring bloom faroese shawl but suddenly the yarn ran out before I was ready for it to - it had gone on and on and on.... So I had to find some (not quite matching) pink recycled cashmere to make a ruffle with, only I didn't ruffle it enough so I had to go find some green recycled cashmere and make a more ruffly ruffle.

Then the pink ruffle decided it was a flap that would sit up at about 45 degrees to the shawl itself, making a V at the bottom so I grabbed a crochet hook, added some stitches to it, hooked it to the green ruffle and generally made it more ruffle-icious. It had to have ruffles you see. And it took forever cos I had over 1200 stitches on the needles for the green ruffle and had not given myself a long enough cable....

fo_ruffles
Sucky pic, eh? I think I have reverted to childhood, what with all the frills and ruffles. (Hmm, on second thoughts, I didn't do frills and ruffles as a child - I had a tendency to play with the boys cos there were no girls close by to play with. Not unless I went up our steep hill and walked along two streets and down the steep hill again.)

But it is done and lessons are learnt. Hooray!

Oh, there is no pattern. I made it up out of my head. I wanted faroese-style shaping (though apparently faroese shawls start at the bottom and work up and mine is top down). I wanted a sorta floral idea but not too fancy - wish I'd done more fancy cos oh my the stocking stitch got a bit dull! So I remembered how I made the GPY shop sample from last year and cast on and off I went.

In other projects, I have finished the current shawl, I have pics as those of you looking at my flickr account know, and this has freed me up to start working on my chemo queen bedjacket again. Hooray! I am trying to stay monogamous to one project at a time - I have a small project to carry with me and a big one for at home knitting. It does help me finish stuff but I am not letting it stop me from working on more than one thing at a time.

cq_sleeveon
The sleeves are done - I've knitted them with short rows such that they sit just above my elbow fold at the front/inner and hopefully cover my sharp pointy elbows at the back. Now I can use the rest of the yarn on the body. It is like knitting a shawl - each row has over 300 stitches but at lest they are not increasing! I am hoping that I have enough yarn to get just past my waist. It is a proper bedjacket shape - loose and swingy. I think I'll be able to wear it not just as a bedjacket (it won't get much use as that I hope!). I love the way in the pic, especially if you look at the larger versions, the jacket is reallly fuzzy. It sorta goes hazy/misty from certain angles - that is the cashmere (blue) component of the yarn strutting its stuff.

Finally, a little message from our sponsor (well not quite but thanks for the hottie and the not shown book, Jum8uck!)
gifites_hugurhottie

anon!

2 comments:

  1. Like your sunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbeysmum9:41 pm

    Hi Lyn, Just found you while browsing Yarn Harlot. I have been quilting for many years and find that cutting on anything the wrong height kills my back pretty quick....so you just put normal 440 gram cans under the legs of a standard table and there you have bench height, which really makes a huge difference.don't use ring pull type cans as the weight can cause tiny holes and that will give you food poisoning.Good Luck be kind to your back !

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments but if I don't have your email address, I may not be able to reply 8-\
I'm trying various commenting things so that I can reply to your comments within blogger itself.