One year

G'day all!

A year ago today I was in home after spending two days in hospital. I was recovering from surgery. The cancer had been cut out of me and was gone, hopefully never to return. Time will tell on that score!

What an amazing year it has been. So many things have happened and not necessarily good things. DH got a job in Sydney and had to move 500 miles away from me. I recovered from the operation and then did radiotherapy basically on my own, with some help from friends and family. Some friends offered me a job, a job that I enjoy. I hope I am giving them back as much value and friendship as they have me. DH was diagnosed with ADD and has continued to struggle with the repercussions of that to this day. His meds have made a big difference but when you've struggled all your adult life with being so clever yet feel like such an idiot because things that come easily to others do not come easily to you.... Two of Nathan's cousins have married, and I have been reminded of the value of family. I finally feel like part of DH's extended family. I am a bit slow on that score. I have learned so much about myself and about others. I have much to be grateful for.

It has not been a good year for knitting. I was able to knit not long after the operation but after developing lymphoedema, I've had to cut back on the knitting. I can tolerate up to about 15-30 minutes at a time. I'm a fairly quick knitter but only having up to an hour a day of knitting if I don't have other things to do means I don't get a whole lot done. I've been knitting a pair of socks for Nathan for months now, and have not finished a very cute cardie that has been waiting for umm, months (I have to do part of a button band and sew on some buttons and that is all!).

I've been sewing and quilting a fair bit. Making my own dresses is both tedious and fun. I've learned a bit more about quilting too.

I've been writing, probably too much, possibly to the detriment of family and friends, but I realise one reason for writing. It is because family and friends are so far away. I am not lonely when I am writing. The characters talk through me. It is like having another life.

I moved to an inner city suburb of a city that I have never enjoyed. I've moved away from the little wilderness of our suburban garden into a small flat with no outside area. But I have realised that nature has a way of asserting herself in the smallest and strangest places, even in the inner suburbs of the most populous city in Australia. Ferns grow on the old brick buildings. Plants find crevices to push their roots into. The thrilling call of currawongs floats on the air. It all delights me to find these little things that tell me nature will prevail.

I've discovered that though Melbourne is my home, I am pretty smitten with Sydney. Just don't make me drive around it or go places out of walking distance.

I've learned to stop. Just stop and be. It helps that just down the road I can find things like this:

110804_sunset

I have always loved water. It amazes me that we live on a world where water can form liquid, not just ice nor just vapour. I never tire of watching water.

And sunsets are pretty grand too.

I've rediscovered a child-like wonder at the universe and where I am in it. People up here think it is funny that I look at the city as I walk along the road. It astounds me that I live where I do. I've been here for over four months now and I still am gobsmacked. If I had a Green Planet Yarn or My Sister Knits here, like I did in the US, and an outside area to have plants and a BBQ on, it would be almost perfect. As it is, it is pretty darned good. (Yes, I got over my whinge in April.)

All in all, I am grateful to still be here, to still have the opportunity to see and make and love and grow. Thanks for sharing the ride with me :-)

anon!

Comments

  1. Wonderful post! Congratulations on your one year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, it has certainly been a year or multiple ups and downs, and I am so glad that, after all, you can find joy and wonder!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you, my girl!!! Here's to many more years to come (and you're exceptionally eloquent this evening!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, big congrats on your one-year anniversary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lynne i wish and hope all the best for you,Ive enjoyed reading and in doing so being welcome into your world,You ve conquered and gone on to better things and Im sure more will await you! And I agree with Sydney,childhood memories of those ferns and green everywhere,I suppose coming from a hard dry outback life it seemed amazing to see things that grew so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you on turning 1. It's been an eventful year for you both positive and negative. That's life isn't it? Here's to many more Birthdays :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday of sorts! I'm enjoying your blog....I look forward to following your journey further. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been following your journey for just over a year now Lynne. You've sure travelled some rough roads and different byways in that time. You continue to inspire me with your outlook on life; for making the best of what situation you are in, and for the enjoyment you find in the natural environment around you.

    I always enjoy reading your interesting blog.

    Here's to continuing good health and happy times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you can hear the applauding from the UK! You've come a long way and you should be proud of how you've coped and transformed through it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments but if I don't have your email address, I may not be able to reply 8-\

Popular posts from this blog

Your monthly blog post

Competition time!

Seattle Six